4 July 2012

King Fern Magic


A recent trip to Rarotonga showcased the stunning form of ferns when I discovered a valley on the cross-island walking track full of ancient king ferns.


The king fern Ptisana salicina is found throughout the South Pacific and Australia, but is in severe decline due to impacts of pigs and other introduced species which destroy the plants.


It is the most stunning plant, with fronds up to 5 m wide and tall enough to walk underneath - but it's the saucer sized unfurling fronds which captivate me.  I'll aim to try and grow one in my garden at home, just to be able to experience that beauty on a regular basis.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Renee- a great page on a rare and beautiful fern. I used to live on Norfolk Island where these were common. Did you manage to establish one in your garden in the end?

    ReplyDelete